August 20, 2015 Lots of clecos...
filling lots of holes...
After drilling and clecoing the bottom flange on the inner hatch cover it was kind of a repeat... of the past few days.
Cut the outer hatch cover blank 1/4inch larger all around; basically 1/2inch larger than the inner hatch blank. Filed and sanded blank before match drilling the inner to the outer. A lot of the same of what I've been doing a lot of... drilling and deburring.
Inner hatch all clecoed up.
Hatch, outside shot (with tape on it).
Hatch, inside shot (with tape on it).
Not sure how all those RV guys keep their aluminum sheets from scratching, but... I put either masking tape or that plastic floor covering over it while I'm working on the piece.
August 21, 2015 Lots of filing...
for the fit.
Spent quite a bit of time filing and sanding the flange and edge of inside blank to get them to fit nicely into the turtledeck opening.
August 22, 2015 A new skill set...
A little hesitant to begin the riveting on the turtledeck hatch. The hesitation comes from possibly screwing up all this work I've done prior to the riveting.
Took my time lining things up for the first one and... the sucker started going side-ways on me. DAMN ! Stopped before going too far with it (I'll come back to this one and drill it out later).
Lined up for the second squeeze... trying to make sure it was square all around. Looking at the part I was flattening and... when finished it looked a lot better. The back side was still a little too high and not round enough so I adjusted the squeezer and pulled the trigger on it again. After the re-adjustment it looked pretty darn good. Had time to do about a dozen rivets before needing to get ready to head out with Andrea tonight.
Before packing things up I decided to drill out the bad bad rivet. Wasn't easy even though I was taking my time. Started going nice then it JUMPED! off the head and put a small nick in the aluminum face. DAMN! Screw this... I'll take a Dremel cutoff tool and knock the barrel of it from the back-side. DAMN!
All-in-all... I'm real happy with how this squeezer is working out.
Rivet on the right is the bad bad rivet.
August 24, 2015 Fits with clecos...
rivets, not so much...
Tonight... doing a pretty good job with the rivets. Taking my time making sure I've centered the barrel of the rivet on the squeezer's head then made sure that I was squared up left-to-right and top-to-bottom. Moving a long real nice.
If I finish up in time I'll start cutting out the back insert for the pilot's seat... About two hours into the session and I'm ready to fit the hatch to the turtledeck and get moving on that seat back insert. Went to insert the hatch and... it's NOT fitting. WTH ??? Took a close look at the hatch and the bottom flange kicked out a little on the port side. DAMN! and it's riveted on !
Spent the next frickin' hour and a half sanding both the bottom flange and the turtledeck hole opening. Just pisses me off. I take all that time getting things all lined up all those days before and What The Hell Happened ? I had it all cleoced up and everything was lined up; the flange to the inside blank to fit the hole opening with room to spare and... I'm just a little pissed right now.
With a lot of sanding it fits but that's not the point. It fit beautifully before I riveted the flanges on... ahhhh, whatever...
Still looks good. Click image for close up.
December 16, 2016 Feathering...
WOW ! A lot of time has gone by since working on the tailcone... It was one of those little things I was pushing off doing. I needed to do a little building up around the opening for the horizontal stabs; the space between the front of the opening and back of the opening... along the spline. Both pieces have been cut and fitted. Only glued the one side. Other side will be done tomorrow. I'll then need to take some sandpaper to feather it. It's close now but it can be better.
No photos of it. I'll take one tomorrow.
December 19, 20, 2016 More feathering...
More work on the tailcone and attaching it to the fuselage.
Glued on the second filler piece the other day and then feathered into the existing tailcone shape.
Spent Tuesday night fitting up/grinding to fit, the bracket I made the other night.