Took Lower Wing rib out of jig, flipped
and glued gussets on second side. Fitted up nose block, capstrips and gussets in jig and glued up first
side of ANOTHER rib. Looked over what additional ribs needed to be made.
See above. Same thing with another Lower Wing rib.
Same as the 21st.
Laid up last Lower Wing Rib (I've said that before) also
cut a few additional gussets that had to be cut for the last Lower Wing Rib. Still need to trim all of the ribs.
Took the LAST Lower Wing rib out of the jig
and glued on gussets to second side. Needed to cut some additional gussets for the second side. For the past couple of
days I've been building a work table that I saw in one of EAA's online articles.
Cut wood blanks out of a sheet of birch ply and routed out the final 12
Upper Wing rib nose blocks. NICE JOB ! They came out beautiful, matching the ones that I routed
a few months ago.
Glued up the first of several more Upper Wing
Took out Upper Wing rib from jig, flipped and glued on
additional gussets to 2nd side. Fitted up new rib into jig and glued up. Began to trim down (trim off gussets) one of the Lower Wing ribs. I'll
use this as the "template" for trimming down all other Lower Wing ribs.
Back to pushing the puddle around. DAMN ! it's been just about
a month since I was last able to go out into the garage to practice welding. It's not back to square one, but, being away from it
for a month has taken it's toll on the little amount of technique I had. Tomorrow more practice.
Started to trim/file the glue and overhanging gussets from the
wing ribs. I was planning on trimming one down and then using it as a pattern to route the rest. BUT... you spend so much time on
building the ribs that if one little thing goes wrong when routing each rib you could be building a new rib because of it. So, instead
of possibly ruining a few ribs I'll take the extra time and hand file each and every rib.
Knocked out a lot of the finish trimming of the existing ribs. Feels good to
have "finished" parts. Worked on the trimming for about 3 hrs. Then I did the usual rib out of jig, flip, glue up second side... put new rib in jig, glue up
first side. All with my eyes closed.
Looking over drawings. Confirming quantity of ribs I need for the Upper Wing.
Comparing three sets of blues prints for the 3-pc Upper Wing
to figures out what material to purchase and what questions to ask. A lot of work for really nothing to show.
Rechecked the count of each rib for the Upper Wing.
Had more than enough of the standard ribs. Cut down and sanded off gussets to convert them to the ribs that are in front of the
ailerons. Needed to cut the "Z" gusset for the TE of these ribs. Took the last Upper Wing rib out of the jig, flipped and glued
gussets on to second side. Made a make-sift jig using an existing rib to lay in an angled capstrip on the TE of all of the ribs
that I am converting. Cut and fitted up the angled capstrip and glued into place.
Got a lot accomplished tonight. Glued all the gussets to the ribs that
I converted from standard to the ribs in front of the ailerons. Laid up the first side of the eight and final rib for in front of the ailerons.
I made a mistake and took one of two standard ribs that had the 1/2" spruce in the nose block area and cut it down. I'll need to remake that rib
tomorrow. All in all I spent 2.8 hrs making saw dust. Spent another 1.1 hrs practicing welding.
Took last of the ribs that go in front of the ailerons on the
Upper Wing out of the jig, flipped and glued on gussets. Placed the last of the standard ribs, the one that I mistakenly cut down yesterday,
in the jig, trimmed and fitted gussets and capstrips, glued and weighted. Converted one standard rib into a rib with a 1/2" capstrip in the nose block area. This will be at a
station where there is a compression strut. Ahhh, I think that does it for now.
Took the last Upper Wing rib out of the jig, flipped it and glued the gussets
on the second side.
Re-made Nose Block Pattern for Lower Wing Ailerons.
Traced and routed all 10 nose blocks. Made patterns for the three gussets for the Lower Wing Ailerons. Traced and cut
Re-made the pattern for the Lower Wing Aileron nose blocks for
the fourth time. Don't ask why. Routed all 10 nose blocks. Built the jig from MDF for the LW Ailerons. Cut the vertical capstrips
for the ribs. NOW I'm ready to build these things using the glue and brad method of construction.
Glued up and nailed first side, flipped and glued up and nailed 2nd side of
5 Lower Aileron ribs. I'll knockout the rest of the Lower Aileron ribs tomorrow night. Then off to build the Upper Aileron ribs.
Feels GREAT to get this much accomplished in one night.
Sanded down and fitted the 5 remaining Lower Aileron
Fitted up and glued remaining 5 Lower Aileron ribs.
Traced and cut patterns for the Upper Aileron nose block and gussets.
Laid out pattern for rib. Traced all gussets needed for standard aileron ribs on ply.
Routed all 10 Upper Aileron nose blocks. Cutout and
sanded down all gussets for Upper Aileron ribs. Looked over 3-pc center section drawings again for .7hrs.
Brought the welding book along with me on the trip to Florida.
Read some on the way down.
Filed down over hang and excess glue on Lower Wing Aileron Ribs.
Trimmed and cleaned up excess glue
from the inside of the spar openings on Lower Wing Ailerons.
Continuation of Apr 6th trimming and cleaning.
Made jig for Upper Wing Ailerons. Cut and fitted
up 6 ribs. No time to glue them today.