Tack/weld on second side-rail. Trim fit third side-rail.
Continued trimming fitting third side-rail on starboard side.
Finish fit and tack and weld on of third starboard side-rail.
Cut welds off second side rail (because of bowing again). Clamped on straight tube then tacked and re-weld to longeron. Initial fitting up of first side-rail on port side.
Fitting up the new pseudo longeron.
Cut and file two new stand-offs for the pseudo longeron.
Aligned and tacked/weld stand-offs for pseudo longeron.
Mark, measure, cut, file, sand first port side-rail. Fitted up to fuselage.
Tacked and welded on first new port side-rail.
Aligned, fit and trimmed second, second port side-rail.
Aligned and tacked second port side-rail in place (with bow). DAMN !
Un-tacked, aligned, un-tacked, aligned, finish weld second side-rail. Aligned and fitted second, third side-rail. Needs to be trimmed down.
Final welds on side-rails. Started fitting up sheet metal skins.
Cutting of some of the sheet metal skins.
More measuring and cutting of sheet metal skins.
More cutting and fitting of sheet metal skins. Started fitting and designing of back windshield.
Continued work on poster board shape of back windshield
Revised initial shape of windshield.
Made windshield longer - new pattern
Modified shape I just made. Final design ready for testing with sheet metal pattern?
Back windshield; trace and cut test pattern. Need to adjust to fit fuselage better.
Tweak and adjust pattern. Made sheet metal test pattern. Still to try on fuselage.
More tweaking of the rear windshield.
New aluminum pattern made. Seems to fit real good.
Spent time researching material for windshield.
Located .040 3003-H14 blank for back windshield. Started CADing the curves. Printed out curves in pieces. Not working out so well.
Hand drew windshield pattern on aluminum. Ready for cutting ?
Needed to re-draw pattern. Back-end needed to have enough area to bend a "capture" to top of Plexiglas. Re-drew. Ready for cutting and bending ?
Windshield tested test-pieces on fuselage.
Drew up new pattern.
Cut, bend, test. Tweek.
Draw new pattern. Made mistake. Need to re-draw.
Drew grid to make sure windshield is symetrical. Masked off with tape and drew new pattern. Make ANOTHER mistake. Will need to re-draw.
New pattern drawn on aluminum. Looks good. Ready for drilling... then cutting out of window openings.
Cut, filed and sanded the rear windshield blank to shape then drilled all 96 holes. Still need to drilled the holes for the corners of the windshield window openings and then cut the windows out.
Cut the window corner curves with a 1 1/8inch hole saw cutter; centering drill, hole saw cutter, deburr. Repeat...
Drilled, notched and bent trail-edge of windshield.
Bent the blank to shape. Rough-cut openings for windshields. Finish cut openings in windshields, filed and sanded to lines. Ready for the flanges to attch it to the fuselage.
Made patterns for windshield to fuselage brackets.
Decided that I could make a better windshield based off a few things I learned from the final one I just made. Drew up new grid on blank sheet of .o40 3003-14 aluminum.
Started drawing new windshield pattern.
Continued drawing pattern.
Finished drawing pattern. DAMN ! it took a long time !
Printed out and cut out and glued relief holes onto pattern. Made a few changes from the first one.
Made decision to attach bracket with rivets instead of bolts. Drew location of rivet holes on pattern.
Rough cut-out of pattern.
Drilled/cut-out 1 1/8inch corners for window openings.
Drill number 6 machine screw holes.
Drill half of the rivet holes.
Drilled additional rivet holes.
Trim, filed, and sanded windshield blank.
Bend windshield to shape. Rough cut the openings out of three windows.
File and finish sand faceted windshield blank
Create paper patterns for Lexan windows.
Cut Lexan window blanks (test pieces).
Received number 6 machine screws with nuts. Nut isn't as thick as the internet said it would be. Machine screws are 1/8inch too long. Will need to buy additional screws. Holes are too small for machine screws. Reamed out to 3/16inch.
Notched trailing edge of windshield. Not that good looking
Re-did notches. Very happy with the way they look now.
Drilled holes in Lexan window blanks. Used a number 12 drill. Tested pieces in windshield frame. NICE !
Finding a solution to bending the bracket to the curve I needed.
Made flanging tool. Did a few test pieces to refine technique.
Made the first of three brackets; drew up pattern, cut, drilled, flanged, cut, file, finish sanded edges. Tried out on windshield. Looks great!
Second side bracket all finished. Same work as the other bracket.
Final bracket finished. Ditto on above work.
Match-drilled all brackets to the windshield.
Re-make port bracket. Tested... tweaked all three brackets. Riveted them onto windshield.
Feb 26 - Mar 6
Reviewing instrument panel. Trying to rememember how I had instruments arranged. Figuring out how many switches I thought of an what they were for. Can't find my layout of panel. FINALLY found the layout, I think. Doesn't have what the toggle switches are for.
Started designing/making side panel; starboard side.