template I routed 18 Upper Wing Nose Ribs. Still need
to mark and trim-clean 90° areas where capstrips fit
into nose rib.
glued and screwed together the frame for the outer wing
tip jigs. Sanded off rough edges of 18 Upper Wing Nose
Ribs. Marked and trimmed 90° areas on all 18 nose
Upper Wing Rib jig. Trimmed and fitted capstrips and gussets.
Glued up first side of first Upper Wing Rib, station 24.
up second side of station 24 Upper Wing Rib. Fitted capstrips
and glued capstrips and gussets to first side of station
35 Upper Wing Rib.
up second side of station 35 Upper Wing Rib. Glued up
1st side of station 46 Upper Wing Rib. Took off UWB gusset
and glued on new gusset (creep.) Leveled table AGAIN.
of Nov-2. Glued up first side of station 57 Upper Wing
Rib then glued up second side of station 46 Upper Wing
up first side of one Upper Wing Rib station 68 then glued
up second side of rib, station 57.
up first side of one station 24 Upper Wing Rib then glued
up second side Upper Wing Rib station 68.
Wing Ribs... second side of rib station 24 and first side
of Upper Wing Rib station 35.
right along. Upper Wing Ribs... 2nd side of Upper Wing
Rib 35 and the first side of Upper Wing Rib station 46.
Wing Ribs... 2nd side of Upper Wing Rib station 46 and
the first side of Upper
Wing Rib station 57.
up 2nd side of station 57 Upper Wing Rib and first side
of Upper Wing Rib station 68. Next, on to the Upper Wing
Ribs that are positioned next to the aileron wells.
up 2nd side of Upper Wing Rib station 68. Cut large gussets
for the trailing edge of station 79. Fitted up the first
side of Upper Wing Rib station 79.
up 2nd side of station 79. Glued up first side of 2nd
glueing up 2nd side of 2nd station 79 rib. Traced and
cut several gussets for Upper Wing ribs station 90, 101,
112, 123. Fitted and glued up 1st of these ribs.
on the finish size of the Lower Wing Rib nose piece. Nailed
in brads on Lower Wing Tip Rib, cut and fitted up all
capstrips. Cut additional capstrip pieces for 2nd Lower
Wing Tip Rib.
up the 1st of 2 Lower Wing Tip Ribs. Ground off two gussets
from an Upper Wing rib that I wasn't happy with. Glued
on one replacement gusset and will glue other next work
up 2nd side of 2nd Lower Wing Tip Rib. Glued on gussets
to 2nd side of 1st Lower Wing Tip Rib. Glued on trailing
edge gusset for re-do on one of original ribs for Lower
up Upper Wing Nose Rib and began fitting capstrips into
Upper Wing Tip Rib. Took too much off of Nose Rib piece
and had to trace and cut an additonal Upper Nose Rib piece.
A lot of work for not a whole lot being accomplished.
First time that's ever happened. Rather toss a substandard
piece than to cover it up underneath a gusset.
and fitted re-make of Upper Nose Rib piece. Cut and fitted
capstrips into jig. Looks nice. Happy that I re-made the
nose rib piece.
up gussets on 2nd side of 2nd Lower Wing Tip rib. Glued
up 1st side of 1st Upper Wing Tip rib.
up 2nd side of 1st Upper Wing Tip rib.
speaking with Randy from the Biplane forum he suggested
that a 1/2" capstrip be placed between the legs of the
nose block legs, just in front of the front spar, on the
ribs that have the compression struts. To accomadate this
1/2" capstrip (I used 2 1/4" capstrips glued up together)
I would need to cut larger gussets for this area. Cut
additional gussets for this area, trimmed and fitted up
capstrips and gussets for one compression strut rib for
up capstrips and gussets that were dry fitted yesterday.
Glued up 2nd side of rib station 90 of Upper Wing.
up and additional Upper Wing Rib with the 1/2" capstrip.
Rib will have the compression strut same as the one that
I glued up on Dec. 2nd. Glued up second side of the rib
I glued up on Dec. 3rd.
up 2nd side of above Upper Wing Rib that has the 1/2"
capstrip in the nose block. One of the threads on the
biplane forum spoke about adding extra ribs or sheeting
with plywood the Upper and Lower Wing areas that are within
the prop-wash of the higher powered biplanes. I pulled
out the plans and figured that I need to instert the additional
ribs in the Upper and Lower Wings on both sides of the
fuselage. Will order additional capstrips from Aircraft
Spruce tomorrow along with 1/4" birch plywood. Will look
over plans to see if I need to order anyting else for
the project for the aileron ribs.
to go route the additional nose block pieces for the Upper
Wing Ribs and discovered that the grain is running the
wrong way when I cut the blocks. Will need to wait until
I get the additional plywood which will be in on Monday.
Traced the patterns for the Lower Wing Rib Ailerons. Cutout,
sanded and fitted up to the blueprint I used to make the
Upper Wing Ribs so that they will mate up to the ribs
that I've been making. You know that A connects to B,
etc. Make one part fit the next.
! So busy with the holidays I didn't get a chance to do
any work on the Skybolt. Glad to get back into it. Worked
on the nose blocks for the Lower Wing Ailerons. Somehow
I managed to screw up about 5 of them. Finally ended up
with the required 10 good ones that I need to build the
two Lower Ailerons.
tired of the clutter and moved the "workshop" from the
small room to the large room. Still down in the basement
of the house. Before the move I tore out the carpet in
the large room and replaced with vinyl flooring. MUCH
better work area. Needed the larger room for the new 17"
Craftsman Drill Press. :) NOW... back to work on that
plane of mine.