Finally getting to the point where I can begin welding up something. I've been practicing for months. Took my work to the
guys at the biplane forum and they said it looked good. Asked if I had done and test to take the weld joints to the point of failure. Well, this past weekend
I did just that. Click here... to see the results.
Drawing the shape of notch using a paper pattern.
You get the idea. Pretty simple to use. I found that if I copied the pattern into
a word document I got the correct size. Copying it as a pdf or jpg didn't produce the correct
size... it was either way too big or way too small. Try out a few different ways until you find
the one that works for you. This is great for using on one tube running into one tube. Beyond that
I'll be using another method that I'll explain later on... when I'm using it.
Filing notches into tube using a LARGE round file.
I tried grinding down the notches on the tubing but it left an angle on the wall of the tube that
I had to file down. And it took a long time to just grind it down to a close size. Howard had given me a LARGE
round file. I've used it a lot on making my "practice" tubing. Worked then so I figured it'd work now. Marked the pattern
on the tube and went to town. Not real fast, not slow either. They all came out beautifully.
Final fitting. Close to welding these puppies up.
The picture here shows the tubes notched and 45's put on the verticals. I cut the 45's using my table saw. What a pain in the arse that is.
I'll be looking for that small chopsaw soon. Or something to make cutting angles on tubing a little bit easier. Anywho... just about ready to
weld these guys up. Still need to cut to size the 2" pieces that are 3/4's of the way up on the verticals. Then....